Thursday, February 11, 2016

Storytelling for Week 4: Dave and Nina




Author's Note: This story is based off of the film, "Sita Sings the Blues." In the film, it depicts Dave and Nina living together in an apartment, and then Dave leaves to go to India. Eventually Nina follows him to India after his company offers him more time in India. When Nina comes back to New York on a business trip, she receives an email from Dave telling her not to come back. Nina hits a breaking point while in New York and calls Dave. She begs for him to take her back, but he does not. The story of Dave and Nina was a modern parallel of Rama and Sita in Ramayana. When Rama abandons Sita after Ravana kidnaps Sita because people were questioning her purity. Sita gets her purity put to the ultimate test and passes but only for Rama to reject her a second time after she says that she is pregnant. Sita has two twin boys, and Rama eventually comes across them again after banishing pregnant Sita. Sita returns to Earth’s womb after proving her purity a second time to Rama.  I wanted to make a story that gave previous knowledge of Dave and Nina before the setting of “Sita Sings the Blues.” I feel like my story depicts a very modern fairy tale of what people typically think about when people fall in love in this time period.


There once was a girl named Nina. Nina was very smart, beautiful, and successful. She was the all-around girl. She worked for an architecture company that made the most beautiful buildings in the entire world. One day, Nina was walking to her desk at work when she dropped all of her papers and sketches of the project that she was working on. This charming man came to the rescue and helped her pick up her things. As they were both picking up the papers, their eyes locked onto each other. They both smiled and blushed. The boy said, “Hi, I am Dave. I am new here.”


Dave was new to the company. He was originally from a small town in northern Idaho. He loved potatoes but decided to try out New York and city life. It was definitely a major change from back home. He and his miniature pig, Hector, arrived just a couple of days ago. Dave thought Nina was very attractive and sweet. He thought she could be a great friend to have and possibly something more!


Nina fell in love at first sight. She thought Dave was the most handsome man she ever saw. Nina politely thanked him for his help and quickly scurried back to her desk. She kept looking around the office, in hopes of seeing Dave again.

A little while later, Dave came to her desk and asked if he could take her to lunch. Nina was very busy with work and had brought her lunch with her but she could not possibly pass up a lunch date with Dave! She was so excited and giddy! She counted down the minutes till noon.



Eventually noon came. Dave and Nina left the office together. Everyone that had not gone to lunch yet nonchalantly watched the new couple leave, and wondered when this new love arose. No one really knew who Dave was yet. So, the whole office was whispering and gossiping about the duo.



“Who is that guy, and what is he doing with Nina and not me?”

“Wow, does he work here? He is so cute!”


“Maybe I should ask him to lunch,” Nina and Dave’s coworkers murmured.

Dave and Nina’s date went amazing. They hit it off instantly. Dave thought Nina was wonderful and smart. Nina thought Dave was handsome and charming.

A couple years passed. Dave and Nina were married with a small apartment of their own to call home. Nina grew to love Hector, and they became great friends. The marriage went perfectly fine, so Nina thought anyway until Dave came home with the announcement of a new job in India. Dave said that the proposal was to build a small building in India and after the job, he would be back. “It is only six months. I will leave little pig Hector here with you to keep you company!” Dave said.

Nina was devastated. She had no idea what to do or think. 
"What am I supposed to do while you are gone?"

Dave just kissed her on the forehead and said, "It will be over before you know it!"

What Dave did not know was that Nina had some big news to share.


Hector was going to be a big brother. Nina was pregnant.   



Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blues, Nina Paley, 2008

7 comments:

  1. Jordan,

    I’m glad that you told a story depicting Nina and Dave’s past. I was so upset with him after the way he treated Nina, and felt that she deserved so much more. I’m a helpless romantic, so this story is something that would have fostered me to have great hopes for them as a couple. It’s so interesting, the curve balls that life throws at us. I’m just glad that in the end Nina was okay and content with her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan,

    I loved the modern twist to Sita and Rama’s love story with the infamous office romance. I think it is always interesting to relate history to modern day situations. The formation of a relationship seems a bit easier and maybe less complicated in the modern version compared to Rama and Sita. The ending makes me interested in what happens next. From the author’s note, my understanding is that she travels to India with him and returns to New York and then things don’t work out. Sad love story, but very accurate to Rama and Sita’s. Overall, very well written and thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved your story Jordan, I liked how you brought little hector back, I liked him. I appreciate the back story to Dave and Nina, I also watched Sita Sings the Blues. Don’t you just hate how that happened? I am personally not a fan of Dave and Nina original story I mean what kind of man doesn’t even talk to his wife about leaving for 6 months! I would be so mad at my husband (I don’t have one yet) if he just came in and said, “oh hey sweety, I am going to India to 6 months. Later” Ah the things that are wrong with this world.

    Anyway, minus my tantrum I loved the twist at the end and it makes me want to read more about what Dave is going to do. Will he come back from India? Will she even tell him?! Man I love writing cliffhangers and kudos to you.

    Also one recommendation, whenever I change a point of view or jump in time in my story I like to give a representation, I normally do something like below (just letting you know!)

    * * *

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a really good story Jordan! I think having this background is really important so we can learn more about the characters and understand their relationship on a deeper level. For example, I find myself a lot sadder about the break up between Dave and Nina after reading this story than I did just from the movie. You did a really good job showing how innocent and love-struck they were when they first met each other, and I love that Hector the pig made an appearance too. I think it’s a lot of fun when people connect a few of their stories like that. We can tell that they are a good match for each other because they are both admired by the rest of the office when they are seen leaving for lunch together. Poor Nina! I can’t imagine raising a child alone! Again, great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jordan,
    I really enjoyed your story of Nina and Dave. I liked it how you focused on Dave and Nina’s characters, however, they were not that main characters in “Sita sings the Blues,” but was a nice idea that you made them main characters of you story. It is nice to focus on different characters. I found that sad for Nina that Dave left her and she loved him a lot. That was a really sad story. However, you did not seem to complete the story. You story was until Nina got pregnant. Next, I found it nice how you were descriptive on your author’s note and basically told everything that one would need to know. Overall, it was nice story. I watched “Sita Sings the Blue” as well and I enjoyed watching the film too. I am looking forward to read more of your stories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jordan!
    This story definitely is relatable because this is actually how my friend met her fiancé! I showed her your story and she loved it as well as I, except for the ending. I love a happy ending but I like the unexpected twist better. I also wrote about this film and it is awesome to see that you went off on Nina and Dave's life more in detail than Rama and Sita. I think you did great in the amount of description you set the setting. Really felt like I was there, as the awkward bystander! Haha!

    ReplyDelete