Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Week 9 Reading Diary: The Mahabharata by Peter Brook


I watched the Mahabharata film by Peter Brook over spring break and it was so much fun! I really enjoyed getting to watch a film for my readings. One thing I guess that I did not really catch when I read the first time that I caught when I watched the actual film was when Arjuna gambled away everything including Draupadi. When watching the film, it really struck me how Draupadi did not really seem to be angry or upset with Arjuna. Even though it was clearly his fault for gambling her, she was upset at King Virata (the king that was going to take her)
but not Arjuna. I really like the film because it is easier to see the emotions of the characters. Arjuna gets exiled but gets to keep Draupadi. They make an agreement that after the exile is over they will decide who will rule their kingdoms. So, basically there will be a big fight because they really hate each other. While in exile, Arjuna shot a boar and another person fought him over him, claiming that was his boar that he shot. They were both very angry over this. Arjuna tries to shoot the hunter only the hunter catches each arrow that he shoots at him. He asks the hunter for a powerful weapon. The hunter gives him the weapon, but he warms Arjuna of how dangerous the weapon can be. After this, they come upon a lake. There is a voice that requests them to answer the questions that the voice has before they drink from the lake but they try to drink from the lake before anyway and die. Arjuna comes across this scene and he answers the questions that the voice has for him.




Draupadi humiliated in King Virata's palace after Arjuna gambled Draupadi. 









Peter Brooks Mahabharata

No comments:

Post a Comment