Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Week 4 Reading Diary: Sita Sings the Blues

I really enjoy watching videos, so it was a lot of fun to get to watch a video for this weeks readings. I will admit, I just sat down and watched the entire video yesterday. The different version of Ramayana was quite interesting to say the least. I kept thinking of how long it had to take them to make that video. That must have taken a lot of time and effort from quite a bit of people. At first, I was confused on what all was going on. There were a lot of different stories within a story, type thing. But, the further I got into it, the easier it was to put it all together. I really liked how they started out with kind of a modern story and really just explained Ramayana in a way that everyday people (like me) really get and are actually interested in the story. When I first read Ramayana, I did not really know what the main idea or the message of the story was, and to be honest I am not entirely sure exactly what it is still or even if it has a message. I would be very curious to see what a Hindu believer had to say about Ramayana, for instance, if it had one overlying theme or many small messages and also if they thought it was a true series of events. I really liked how the narrators throughout the video were putting it into more modern thinking and most of the time quite comical, that was a funny addition that really tied the multiple stories together in the video. 


Video based off of Ramayana, 
created by Nina Paley


Author: Laura Gibbs

No comments:

Post a Comment