Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary: Jataka Tales by Francis and Thomas


I am reading Jataka Tales by Francis and Thomas. I think I am starting to get obsessed with these Jataka Tales. We only have a few weeks left in the semester, but I am starting another one! They are just so good! One thing I have noticed about most of the Jataka Tales, they all seem to have some sort of advice or wisdom being told. It is always so clever and creative. One story that stood out to me in my readings today was the Haughty Slave. This man that had a wife and a son decided to hide his money because he did not trust his wife with it. He wanted to make sure it fell into his son’s hands after he died. He buried the money and only him and his servant knew where it was. So, when the man died his mother told his the son to take the servant and go find the money. The boy did just that, but the servant would take him to the spot and then not tell him. He did this several times before he sought advice from his father’s old friend. The old friend told him to dig where the servant takes him out everyday. There, he will find his father’s money. So, the son did just that and found the money!








No comments:

Post a Comment